Where do I go to receive medical treatment?

Visas | Embassies | Health | Insurance | Safety | Finances

The UK's State Health Service
Student health care entitlements in the UK
What treatment is provided free of charge?
What treatment will I have to pay for?
Does my country have a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with the UK?
Where do I go to receive medical treatment?
How do I register with a doctor?
How do I deal with a medical emergency?

Where do I go to receive medical treatment?
General Practitioners Surgeries or Health Centres
Your first point of contact within the National Health Service is likely to be your local General Practitioners (GP). GPs are doctors trained and experienced in diagnosing and treating a wide range of health problems.

You should register with a local GP as soon as you can after your arrival in the UK. Many universities and colleges have associated health centres on campus, staffed by GPs and nurses who are familiar with common health problems among the student population.
Most medical problems can be treated by a GP. If you think you need to see a specialist, you should ask your GP to refer you to a consultant within an appropriate hospital department.
Your local GP's surgery or Health Centre may also provide other common health services such as vaccinations, mother and baby care and travel clinics.

NHS hospitals
You may need to receive treatment at an NHS hospital during your studies. Depending on your medical problem, you will receive treatment from a consultant as an 'in-patient' (in which case, you will be admitted to a hospital ward for 1 night or more), or as an 'out-patient' (in which case, you will visit the hospital for an appointment or treatment which does not require an overnight stay).

Unless you are admitted to a hospital for emergency treatment, or are attending a walk-in clinic, you will need a referral from your GP to receive hospital treatment.

Accident and Emergency Departments (A&E)
If you have had a serious accident or are suffering from a medical condition needing urgent medical attention, you may admit yourself or be admitted to a hospital Accident and Emergency Department. These departments operate 24 hours a day to treat the most urgent medical cases. They can be found in most, but not all, hospitals.

Please note, unless you are suffering from an extremely serious condition, you should contact your GP surgery's duty doctor who will also be on call 24 hours a day.

Back to the top