Where can I study English?

Why Study In The UK | Applications | Exchange Programmes | Universities | English Courses |
Language Schools | TEFL Courses | Other Courses | UK Search | London Search

Why Study English?
Why Study English in the UK?
What kinds of English courses are on offer?
How will my English course be taught?
How can I be sure that the English course I choose will be of good quality?
Where can I study English?
How do I apply for an English course?

Where can I study English?
There are many types of accredited language institutions to choose from. Until the age of 16, you are likely to study at a language centre or independent school that offers summer or Easter vacation courses. After the age of 16, you can study at one of the following institutions:

Private Language Schools:
• Offer long and short courses in English language for students at all levels.

State and Private Language Centres:
• Offer short courses in English language, usually in the summer; often combining study with activities and cultural visits.

Independent Schools and Tutorial Colleges:
• You could study a range of subjects at these institutions but all courses would include the use of English.

Further Education Institutions:
• Offer a wide range of part-time and full-time courses at different levels of the English Language.
• Students can also join native English speakers in academic and vocational courses, or combine a language and academic/ vocational course as part of an 'English Plus' course.

Higher Education Institutions:
• Offer a wide range of part-time and full-time courses to those with English of an Intermediate standard or better.
• Many offer English courses for Academic purposes.
You can also study English in your home country at a British Council English Teaching Centre. For details of your nearest centre, and to find out more about the types of courses on offer click here.

Back to the top