What TEFL Qualifications are there?

Why Study In The UK | Applications | Exchange Programmes | Universities | English Courses |
Language Schools | TEFL Courses | Other Courses | UK Search | London Search

What TEFL Qualifications are there?
TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certificates are basic qualifications taught across the UK and enable holders to teach English in private language schools in the UK and abroad. Holders may describe themselves as 'TEFL initiated'.

The TEFL Diploma is a higher qualification with a prerequisite of 2 years of English language teaching experience. Holders of a TEFL diploma may describe themselves as 'TEFL qualified'. British Council English teachers are usually required to have attained a TEFL Diploma.

TEFL Certificates:
For example the Cambridge/RSA Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA), are taught in private language schools in the UK and overseas.
The course involves 114 hours of teaching, including 6 hours of teaching practice, and can be intensively in 4 weeks, or part-time over 4-12 months.
Courses cost from £500 to £1000 and entitle certificate holders to teach in private language schools in the UK and abroad.

TESOL Certificates:
The Trinity College London TESOL certificate is taught at over 100 state and private language and training centres in the UK.
The course involves 130 hours of teaching, and can be taken intensively in 4-6 weeks or part-time over 4-12 months.
Courses cost from £400 to £1000.

TEFL Diplomas:
For example the Cambridge/RSA Diploma (DELTA) or a Trinity College London Licentiate Diploma are offered at various language centres across the UK and overseas.
Students of TEFL Diplomas will usually possess a TEFL or TESOL certificate and a minimum of 2 years teaching experience.
Courses involve 2 written papers, an interview and teaching practice and are taught intensively from 8 weeks to 12 weeks or part-time for a full academic year.
Course costs vary.

These qualifications differ from TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) qualifications, which are aimed at teaching immigrants to English-speaking countries.

Back to the top