Teaching at Schools in the UK

Why Study In The UK | Applications | Exchange Programmes | Universities | English Courses |
Language Schools | TEFL Courses | Other Courses | UK Search | London Search

What TEFL Qualifications are there?
Where can I find information about Language Schools offering TEFL courses?
How good must my English be to enrol on a TEFL course?
Do I need a degree to enrol on a TEFL course?
Teaching at Schools in the UK

Teaching at Schools in the UK
Qualified Teacher Status in the UK (QTS)
If you are qualified as a school teacher outside the UK you will need to gain Qualified Teacher Status before you can work as a permanent, qualified teacher in England or Wales. All overseas entrants into the teaching profession must take QTS assessments.

Where to gain QTS
The Teacher Training Agency's Overseas Trained Teacher Programme enables Overseas Trained Teachers (OTTs) to gain QTS while they work in a school. Overseas Trained Teachers may also present themselves for QTS assessment without further training. QTS Skills Tests are taken at special centres throughout England.

For advice and guidance, call the Overseas Trained Teacher Helpline on +44 (0) 118 902 1916, between 9am and 5pm.

If you are interested in taking a course to gain QTS (e.g. a PGCE) call the Teaching Information Line on +44 (0) 845 6000 991 for further information about relevant qualifications.

What QTS involves
The QTS Skills Tests assess competence in literacy, numeracy and information and communications technology (ICT) skills. QTS assessment is free, but you will have to pay for any training you may need to qualify.