Student Health Care Entitlements in the UK

Visas | Embassies | Health | Insurance | Safety | Finances

The UK's State Health Service
Student health care entitlements in the UK
What treatment is provided free of charge?
What treatment will I have to pay for?
Does my country have a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with the UK?
Where do I go to receive medical treatment?
How do I register with a doctor?
How do I deal with a medical emergency?

Student Health Care Entitlements in the UK
If you meet the following conditions, you and your immediate family are entitled to NHS treatment for the duration of your course of study in the UK.

International Students in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; you must be enrolled in a full-time course of study at a recognised institution for a duration of 6 months or more.
International Students in Scotland; you must be enrolled in a full-time course of study of any duration at a recognised institution.

If you do not meet these conditions, you will only be entitled to NHS hospital treatment in cases of emergency. General Practitioners (community doctors) may agree to treat you for free if you require urgent treatment that cannot be delayed until you return to your home country.

All other treatment you receive will be considered as 'private' and may cost considerable sums of money. It is therefore imperative that you take out adequate student health insurance to cover the full duration of your visit to the UK.

Nationals of the European Economic Area (all EU countries, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and their families are entitled to NHS treatment during study courses of less than 6 months duration. To qualify, you must complete form E128 in your country of residence before your departure.